Monday, October 18, 2010

Watching Fireflies

Last week 6B got to go on a field trip to Kuala Selengor. We got to see fireflies, go on a boat ride and plant mangrove trees. Out of the whole trip my favorite part was seeing the fireflies. I loved watching the trees light up like a Christmas trees. I had seen fireflies before but watching them in a peaceful boat ride was the best thing.

I watched other boats stop at trees and pull off a firefly but the person driving my boat didn't. I was getting pretty upset because I badly wanted to see them just a bit closer. He kept riding along but I knew he would stop sooner or later. He stopped at tree that only had a few fireflies and it wasn't the brightest tree at all. He picked off a baby firefly, so small that I didn't see it's glow. I thought it was dead so I dropped it but then it had a huge glow. My friends that were on the boat with me decided to take it. I guess the tree we stopped at was for baby fireflies sense it was such a small glow.
 All of a sudden I saw a something moving in the water. At first I thought it was a reflection of the boat but then I realized that it was some kind of fish. I was frightened bye its long body shape. My friends and I thought it could be an alligator. There were more and more and more when I looked around but they didn't seem to bother anyone so felt a lot better. We did a U turn but all the other boats had stopped to see more trees. I asked him if we could go closer to the trees again but he said no. I was so jealous because everyone else was holding one. Finally we were back and my friends still had the firefly. I held it out to show people but then we saw a fine that said if we take one you would have had to pay 1,000 rm. I was nervous hoping that no one saw besides my class mates. I set the little guy free. Then we hopped on the bus and our fun night ended.
This was just like planting mangrove saplings because it was also really fun. I was so excited to get dirty but when I arrived, after the stories I heard from my friends, it was going to a muddy day. We put on our boots and my gloves so that mud wouldn't get on our hands and shoes. Off I went in the muddy forest. I finally started to sink. My friend who was pulling on me fell and sense my feet were buried in the dirt I couldn't help my self stay stable. It was a hard fall. Unfortunately a crab crawled up my boot. I almost screamed when it pinched me. I stayed on the side standing on roots from bigger mangrove trees and watched my friends. They fell every second sinking deeper and deeper in the mud. Finally when they got to the other side there were no more saplings left. They had walked far and didn't get to plant anything so they were a little upset especially the people that were the muddiest. It looked pretty irritating. The funnest part of all was getting washed off. We were sprayed with a hose on full power. It felt to me like I was sitting on nails but I didn't mind because when I saw that my classmates had already taken showers. I got jealous. At that time I just wanted to rip off the mud. Overall the trip was the most fun I have had in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment