Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Time I Showed Courage

There have been a few times in my life when I have needed courage.  Learning how to swim was one of those times. When I was four years old I went to California. The hotel where I stayed, had a huge pool. I didn't know how to swim yet so I spent my time there learning with little swim tubes around my arms.  One day, I swam across the pool with the tubes on.  I felt really proud of myself.  Then some kid my age said, "I can swim across without floaters."  I got so upset because I thought everyone swam that way. I kept practicing over and over again but still not without my floaters.


 A few days later when I was swimming, that kid was there again. "Gosh you still can't swim without floaters?" I got so angry at him. " No I can swim without them if you didn't know." This made him jealous. "Prove it then." He said. I got really nervous. It was a deep pool but a small length. All of a sudden I felt better. "I can do this no worries." I whispered to myself. "Go." He shouted. I was off swimming like crazy to the other side. He was following behind me. The kid struggled to keep in front yet he moved slowly. I knew that sense we were just starting to swim maybe it was okay. I realized that the floaters made me better at swimming and sense he didn't that affected his swimming skills. During the middle I stopped and looked behind. He had given up the race. " Hey girl you win." I had beat him and that made me proud.

This example shows courage because I realized that I could do it and overcame my fears. The boy had been mean to me which made me want to prove to him that I could do it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, great job raissa, I really like how you said you got really upset it gave me a picture in my head of you as a 4 year old really uspet that this kid said something mean to you. One thing that I think you could have done is add more detail to make your paragraphs longer. other than that it is pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Raissa, I really liked the part when you got upset so you decided to work hard. Than you were able to swim! I couldn't even put my head into the water when I was 4! Nice blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your story Raissa, this story reminded me of when I swam for the first time. This story made me feel upset too, because I was also upset when I first swam. I could relate, it was really hard to swim, because I didn't know how to float. But I think you could have made your paragraphs longer by putting more details in the story. I was also impressed because I was really afraid of water when I was 4. I started swimming when I was 5. But anyways, your story was really good.

    ReplyDelete